Saturday, April 20, 2013

Post #5: Reflection on Oral Presentation

This semester, I joined both Toastmasters and ES2007 with the aim of becoming a better speaker and communicator. Although it has been a short span of 3 months, I have picked up on many areas of improvement that could be applied in my oral presentation.
 
During my OP preparation, I had a frequent question on my mind - Should I memorize my script? Some speakers swear by memorizing their script, and are able to follow through with a convincing and engaging delivery. Others simply prefer to memorize the key points, and elaborate from there.
 
Eventually, I decided not to memorize anything, but to instead internalize my speech flow and ideas, and fine-tune my presentation through some rehearsals. On hindsight, I find that to be a good idea as I was able to organize my speech naturally as I presented. Without a script, I could also focus my efforts on engaging the audience, and avoid sounding "scripted". 
 
Brad often comments that some speakers sound "scripted", but what does it actually mean? In my opinion, some speakers who have committed long hours of practice often internalize their presentation to the unfortunate extent that they "run through the motions" during the actual speech itself. As such, they might end up focusing too much on their own delivery, neglecting to engage the audience sufficiently. Since the main objective of our OP was to sell our idea, my group and I put in extra effort to address the audience directly and connect with them, as we find that establishing a connection is essential towards persuading them.
 
After my presentations and speeches, I often get the feedback that I should be more confident. In fact, confidence is something I find to be very elusive. Even though I did feel quite at ease during my OP, perhaps some of my non-verbals potrayed otherwise! Or perhaps, it goes beyond the verbals and non-verbals into the passion I show. It remains a mystery to me, but I will definitely continue to work on it!

4 comments:

  1. Hello Weizhe!

    Thank you for sharing such great insights on whether a good presenter should or should not memorize his script and how your group had decided to focus on delivering a presentation to address and connect with your audience. Indeed, you managed to capture the attention and interest of your audience during your presentation! You had very good posture and a clear voice, which effectively helped portray a professional and sleek appeal to engage your audience!

    Compared to your peer teaching, your oral presentation this time round was strong and powerful. I did not think you had confidence issues as you stood firm with a good voice projection bringing us through a very smooth conclusion. :)

    I'm sure the activity was a very good practice for all of us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi jieying!

      Thanks for your feedback! I will continue to learn and improve :)

      Cheers,
      Weizhr

      Delete
  2. Thanks for this post, Peter. I agree with Jie Ying: You offer some very good insights here. You capture exactly my feelings about a speech sounding scripted. Of course, there are various ways to approach presenting. I appreciate the fact that you found a approach that proved to be workable for you. You did a very fine job, too, which was the main aim.

    Best of luck for your next presentation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brad,

      Thanks for your feedback! I am glad that it worked for me as well, because I used to prepare a script for my presentations in the past because I thought it was 'the way to go'. Never considered any alternatives until this semester, so I'm really glad it worked fine.

      All the best in your future classes as well!

      Cheers,
      Weizhe

      Delete